Mental Health Awareness Month 2022
Why Mental Health is Important?
Mental health is just as important as physical health. In fact, they are both equally important for overall health.
Mental health is the state of our emotions, thoughts, and behaviors. It affects how we think, feel, and act. Physical health is the state of our body. It affects how our body functions, looks and feels.
There is a strong relationship between mental health and physical health. When one is not in good shape, the other is usually not either.
Poor mental health can lead to poor physical health, and vice versa.
Some common ways that mental health and physical health are connected are:
• People with poor mental health are more likely to have poor physical health.
• People with poor physical health are more likely to have poor mental health.
• People with good mental health are more likely to have good physical health.
• People with good physical health are more likely to have good mental health.
Mental Health Issues in the USA
- One out of every five Americans suffers from a mental illness.
- One out of every six young people has had a major depressive episode in their life.
- One in every five children has a seriously debilitating mental illness, at some point in their lives.
- One in every twenty-five Americans suffers from serious mental disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or severe depression.
- More than half of all people will be diagnosed with a mental illness or disorder at some point in their lives.
- Suicide is one of the leading causes of death in the United States. In fact, it was the second leading cause of death for people aged 10 to 24.
What are the causes of Mental illness?
Mental illness may occur by various causes.
- Family history and genes.
- Feelings of isolation or loneliness
- Early adversity in life, such as trauma or a history of abuse, for example, child abuse, sexual assault, witnessing violence, and so on.
- Other continuing chronic health conditions, such as cancer or diabetes, recently due to covid-19 worries most the people got insomnia (Sleeping disorder).
- Exposure of a pregnant mother to viral infections or harmful chemicals
- Use of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs